After a quick BOF break, it was time to get back to the boot2roots.
First up was netdiscover to find the IP of the new VM.
I decided to take a short break from the boot2root VMs and do a tutorial on a known vulnerable application, as well as the exploit development process for it.
This won’t quite be a linear tutorial for buffer overflows though, as there is already a better one on Corelan, and I want to bounce around too much to make one quite like that. That said, I’ll probably end up writing tutorials for most of the applications that they touch on, just over time, sporadically, and out of order.
This seemed to be another series that was a bit closer to beginner/intermediate level, so I figured it would be another good series to do some walkthroughs on.
So, starting with Kioptrix Level 1, I downloaded the VM, spun up Kali, and got to work.
As usual, I first fired up netdiscover to find out the IP of the new host.